I have always said I am no social media queen, but I understand its promotional value of communicating with current fans and new friends. This week, I had 2 music students come to me and said, “I don’t know what to talk about!” My conversations with them prompted these social media ideas that will help show your personality to the social media world.
In the advice below, I will recommend you pick the same day and time every week, just for consistencies sake. You can even give your post a name like DIY Music Mondays, Fight for a Cause Wednesdays, Songs I Love Thursdays or Just for Fun Fridays. If you announce you are doing a series weekly, that commitment will force you to find something to share that means something to you; personal or musical, it does not matter.
For those of you that have a loss for words, see my website suggestions below so you can connect with National Calendars that will show you what the world celebrates every day of the year! I went through and pulled out some examples, which I feel I would like to share a story and would like the world to share their experiences back with me. You will see what I mean as you get to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th recommendations.
Try one of more of these! It will show your personality to the world and will connect you to people who want to share their own experiences; that results in more fan interaction.
SHARE YOUR SONG
- GO LIVE!: If you can run a track or play an acoustic guitar or piano, then you could plan to do a weekly Facebook live or Instagram live event. It is really OK to just share one or a few songs. I bought a simple ring light and a better camera, each only being less than $80 a piece. If you are singing, look to see if you can also set up a mic and do some trials. It is really OK if you stumble or knock over a light. A little humor will get people to comment.
- SHARE A STORY: Every song you write comes from an inspiration…something you read, hear or experienced. Share your story and sing the song for your audience. For those of you who are saying that you need a full band to perform that song, tell a short version of the story and give a link to the video or a soundcloud or spotify link.
- COVER SONGS: If you don’t want to share your original song yet, start performing with a cover song. Either share a memory of that song or go online and find out if there is a story listed from the artist themselves. Wikipedia can really give you a lot of cool information on the subject you are sharing.
- ASK FOR ACTION: I am not telling you to ask for money, although I encourage musicians to at least post a PayPal account in the beginning of your post for those who would like to contribute. Ask questions like: “Let us know what city you are from?” or “Let us know a memory that comes to mind while listening to this song.” Also, at the end, when you do your Thank You’s, ask people to return next time or share your performance with a friend.
- YOUR FORMAT: Do a welcome at your live events, then do your performance, ask one or two questions so people will comment and finally, do your thank you AND ask either to share your performance with a friend or announce an upcoming music or video release.
Let’s say you look at the national celebration calendars and choose items that are celebrated that have to do with music. Did you know that “NATIONAL KAZOO DAY” was January 28th and “NATIONAL GUITAR DAY” is February 11th? Check online and find a few historic points, play a kazoo or a guitar, depending on the day, and ask others to share themselves playing their instruments.
Maybe more general items look interesting like knowing February 13th is “WORLD RADIO DAY.” When you google “WORLD RADIO DAY” you will find that the United Nation supports this day and there are 13 ideas on how to participate. I, myself, like knowing when “NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY” is, which is June 12th this year. Personally, I would tell a story about my memory of going into a record store with my sister, when I was ten years old, and the thrill of buying my first record.
Music information that you find interesting will show who you are as a person and that is why people will interact and comment on your posts.
FIGHT FOR A CAUSE or USING YOUR HEART MISSIONS
I love the “RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS” books and it is celebrated on February 7th. If that is a like for you, share a song or story that will inspire others to spread kindness. OR maybe you feel passion about “INTERNATIONAL WOMANS DAY” (March 8) or March 24th’s “NATIONAL METAL OF HONOR DAY.” I bet you can share a song that helps celebrate a women that inspired you or you may want to honor a brother or father who received the Metal of Honor. Those shares are personal and let’s the listener in on our passion.
Is there a cause that moves you and connects to a personal story? Did you know that November is Diabetes Awareness Month (“WORLD DIABETES DAY” falls on November 14)? OR that NATIONAL BULLYING PREVENTION week starts November 11th this year? Contribute to the cause by writing a song for the organization, get together with your local community and see if you could bring an inspirational story and possible a charity performance to help bring awareness to your heart mission. Get involved by participating someway through music and advertise your participate as you get close to the month or day of celebration.
JUST FOR FUN FRIDAYS
Sometimes we all just want to have fun. Last year someone on social media posted on June 4th that is was “HUG YOUR CAT DAY” and the person shared themselves hugging their cat and shared a story. I thought, WOW! Now that is really cute! So, I had to comment.
Look at the celebration calendars and you will find all kinds of food celebrations like: Feb 6 is “EAT ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST DAY” and April 13th is “NATIONAL GRILLED CHEESE DAY.” I bet sharing that on an Instagram story or a Facebook post would get you a bunch of reactions!
You can find other fun celebration days like “I LOVE LUCY DAY” OR that August 2nd is “SISTERS DAY.” I know I love my sisters and would love to share a photo, story or memory with the world. You can pick what hits your emotion and just start sharing. I know if I see fun video, I will to share that on my personal page!
Another way to succeed after posting anything, is to make sure you reply to all the comments. Now, that is real interaction and your algorithms will increase ten-fold!
These are just a bunch of ideas so you don’t need to feel stumped that you just don’t know what to communicate. Look through the calendars and make a schedule. After while you will start coming up with your own ways to celebrate own stories, memories, photos and songs with the world, which WILL grow your fan base!
Let us know if you try any of our ideas by emailing us at MusicBizMentors@gmail.com or make a comment on our blog page!
FIND CELEBRATION DAYS AT:
OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA IDEAS